|PhD Student, Public Policy|
800 West Campbell Road, GR 31
I am a Ph.D. student in the School of Economic, Political and Policy Sciences at the University of Texas at Dallas. I received my MS in Applied Economics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) with the support of a U.S. Fulbright Grant. Before graduating from UIUC, I earned a BS in Economics from the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru.
International Development, Social Issues, and Public Policy.
- Fulbright Fellowship. Scholarship for Graduate Studies in the United States of America (2011)
- Graduate Fellowship. College of Agricultural , Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2011-2013)
- Membership in the Gamma Sigma Delta, International Agricultural Honor Society. Chapter: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2013)
- AYRE International Research and Learning Fellowship, Njala University in Sierra Leone (2011)
- Scholarship awarded by LACEA Studies and Global Development Network (GDN). (2008)
- Finalist at the National Competition Research Consortium for Economic and Social Research (CIES) and the International Development Research Center (IDRC) (2009)
- Socio-Economic Consultant ( ERM )
- Assistant Researcher ( GRADE )
- Research Assistant ( Agricultural & Applied Economics UW- Madison )
- Teaching Assistant - Introduction to Macroeconomics
( Pontifical Catholic University of Peru )
- Mercedez Callenes. "The impact of a conditional cash transfer program on consumption of rural households in Peru". MS Thesis University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. December 2013 (PDF). link
- Seth Gitter, Jeremy Weber, Bradford L. Barham, Mercedez Callenes, Jessa Lewis. "Fair Trade-Organic Coffee Cooperatives, Migration, and Secondary Schooling in Southern Mexico." Journal of Development Studies Vol. 48, No. 3, (2012): 445-463 (PDF). link
- Barham, Bradford L., Mercedez Callenes, Seth Gitter, Jessa Lewis, and Jeremy Weber. "Fair Trade/Organic Coffee, Rural Livelihoods, and the ‘Agrarian Question’: Southern Mexican Coffee Farmers in Transition" World Development. (PDF). link
- Bradford L. Barham, Mercedez Callenes, Seth Gitter, Jessa Lewis, and Jeremy Weber. "Fair Trade/Organic Coffee, Rural Livelihoods, and the ‘Agrarian Question’: Southern Mexican Coffee Farmers in Transition" Journal of World Development Vol 39, No. 1, (2011): 134-145 (PDF). link
- Presentation at II Coloquio de Estudiantes de Economía - PUCP, 2007.
- Collaboration in the Economics Ophèlimos Comunidad, 2007.
- Spanish instructor for women in Yungay - Peru, 2006.
- Co-founder of the dame bola project for children in Yungay - Peru, 2006.
I enjoy music, theater, street photography, hiking, traveling, reading and cooking.